ScrimismsPresently suffering a dearth of witticisms
Games and Software01 Dec 2007

A couple weeks ago, an RPG development forum I hang out on held a “game in a weekend” contest, challenging people to create a complete game in two days. It’s a bit like the “three-day novel contest”, in that you have to be slightly nutty to enter.

I decided to enter, and I’m not one to be nutty alone, so I roped Gaelan into working on it with me. Starting with some code I’d previously written and one generic grass tile, our aim was to produce a small-scale RPG in the time allowed (which was eventually extended by three days. Yeah, the two day contest turned into a five day contest. Weird, but useful…). Both being antiquity buffs, we decided to set our game in Ancient Greece, and drew some inspiration (i.e., outright stole a few things) from the Odyssey. Thus, The Trials of Soscarides was born.

The contest is over now, and “Soscarides”, reasonably complete by the deadline, tied for first-place with another entry. We are both quite proud of our little game.

I’d been holding off on posting it here because I was hoping to finish it first (the contest submission only has a little of the game content in place), but that is starting to look like it will take a bit longer than anticipated, so I’m posting it now. You can follow the link above and download the limited (and slightly buggy) contest entry, but you’ll have to wait a little while for the final release. Gaelan and I are both plugging away at it. I think the story is about 40% implemented and nearly all the art and mapping is done. I’m working on a few refinements to combat (which I wrote from scratch in 12 hours on day two of the contest) and a few other aspects of the game as well.

If you try it out, let me know what you think.

8 Responses to “We were probably crazy”

1. 02 Dec 2007 at 1:43 pm Rob

I’ll try it out soon! What did you use to develop it?

2. 02 Dec 2007 at 6:24 pm Rob

Never mind! I tried it, PyGame? I love it! Python is great for cranking off little game projects. Sucks figuring out how to make an array the first time, though.

Sadly I haven’t tried it enough to comment on it, but I’ll spam your comments again at that point, since that’s what I seem to do now.

3. 02 Dec 2007 at 10:13 pm Ian

Pygame rules. Spam away.

And is s = [] really so hard? =)

After programming in python for a while, I’m totally spoiled for other languages.

4. 03 Dec 2007 at 10:28 am Rob

Oh, it’s on! :P I mean making a big 2d array of integers for the maps. I ended up using NumPy and zeros().

I finally beat the barbarians, only to get eaten by a fearsome green cyclops. But I haven’t given up!

5. 03 Dec 2007 at 5:08 pm Rob

Alright, I beat the green cyclops, visited the oracle, got the cryptic message about letting Mr. Hades swallow me, listened to her more sensical guard-fellow who told me just to go get some grain south. Now I’m totally locked out of everything! Did I hit the 40%? Am I going to have to patiently wait? I want to know what’s in the !ogre cave and the tower. Damn you, episodic gaming!

6. 03 Dec 2007 at 9:12 pm Ian

Haha, sorry, I just realized I hadn’t been that clear. You’ve hit the 10% mark that we completed for the contest. The other 30% we’ve not “released” yet. I suppose if I did post it, it really would be an episodic game… =)

Part of why I haven’t really put it up is that I’m still tweaking and changing things, especially the combat.

7. 21 Jan 2008 at 1:29 am Andrew

I beat the barbarians, equipped my healer with a bow, felt woozy while trying to talk to the oracle so I left to go kick some cyclops ass and give my shirtless tough-guy a sword. I upped the strength of both of my fighters once I realized I what the “advance” button did, and wasn’t sure what to do with the 3 points my healer had so I sailed of the east edge of the world. I can’t seem to do anything more than that. I have a party of three, my family is starving, I can land on other islands and walk around. I can sail 3 spaces above the top of the screen and I crash the game if I sail off of the south and east edges of the world. I get no cryptic message about hades… I even let my healer talk to the oracle instead of the main guy. I want to do more! I can give you the console reports that I get when I crash the game if that’s helpful.

8. 22 Jan 2008 at 9:05 am Ian

Thanks for the feedback.

That’s a “known bug” that failed to get squashed in the rush to get the contest version finished in time. =)

I haven’t done anything more on the game in a while. If I don’t get going on it soon I might upload its current “half finished” incarnation, but ideally I’d like to completely wrap it up first.

Feed on comments to this Post